Welcome Disney Britters to the 2015 and the launch of our latest tenuous tie in with a TV show.
The Great DB Cook Off will be a 2 week event where we as a group cook the same recipe and share our results. It doesn’t matter if your cooking skills are at the amateur status or the professional level. The main part about the GDBCO is joining in and having fun (and hopefully something edible). We will try to convert the recipes as best we can to make it easier to follow in the UK. However there may be ingredients that we can’t get here and you will need to substitute them. Your choices may affect your results, both for the good and bad, but sharing your experience will help us all.
To Start off we will be cooking a Key Lime Pie as served in Olivia’s Cafe, Disney’s Old Key West Resort.
Key Lime Pie Recipe
One 9″ pie
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 6 tablespoons melted butter (85g)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (45g)
- 1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs (275g)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup key lime juice (we are guessing at about 5 or 6 limes)
- 5 Large Egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Stir together butter, sugar, and graham cracker crumbs in a medium bowl. Firmly press the mixture into a 9-inch pie tin.
- Bake crust for 8 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice in a medium bowl. Whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Slowly pour filling into crust. Bake 12 – 15 minutes or until set.
- Remove Pie from Oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
- Cut into wedges
After you have made yours send us your photographs at email@example.com. We will add them to an updated version of the recipe along with your hints and tips on your cooking experiences. Let us know what the results taste like. Even better record your kids tasting it for the first time and send in the audio of their results.
Good luck with your cooking and send in your posts by Sunday 18th January 2015. We will be talking more about this on the next Disney Brit Podcast which will be recorded that night. We’ll also share the next recipe for the following cook off.